EUROPEAN MARITIME DAY - 2020
CREATION - The European Maritime Day (EMD) was officially created on 20 May 2008 where the President of the European Parliament Hans-Gert Pöttering, Council President Janez Janša, and Commission President José Manuel Barroso signed a Joint Tripartite Declaration establishing it.
European Maritime Day is an annual celebration of Europe’s diverse maritime community and is the flagship event in the European Union’s maritime calendar. As part of the celebration is a two day conference which attracts 1,000 stakeholders from across the European Union.
GALWAY & MARINE LITTER
Every year over 10 million tonnes of litter ends up in our oceans causing a devastating impact on the seas and the marine life that dwells within them. It is estimated that by 2050 our seas could contain more plastic than fish.
A number of aquariums around the globe are banding together to highlight this major problem and engage with the public. The new campaign will show people practical solutions on reducing their own impact and how they can help to turn the tide on marine pollution.
EMD HEADLINE THEMES
* Brussels 2008: "A regional approach to the implementation of Maritime Policy"
* Rome 2009: "Integrated Maritime Policy and the contribution of maritime clusters"
* Gijón 2010: "How to foster innovation?"
* Gdansk 2011: "Maritime Policy: Putting People First"
* Gothenburg 2012: "Sustainable Growth from the Oceans, Seas and Coasts"
* Valletta 2013: "Coastal Development and Sustainable Maritime Tourism"
* Bremen 2014: "Innovation driving Blue Growth"
* Piraeus 2015: "Ports and Coasts, Gateways to Maritime Growth"
* Turku 2016: "Investing in blue growth – smart and sustainable solutions"
* Poole 2017: "The Future of our Seas"
* Burgas 2018: Bulgaria "TBA"
* Lisbon 2019: Portugal "TBA"
* Cork 2020: Ireland "TBA"
* Den Helder 2021: The Netherlands "TBA"
* Ravenna 2022: Italy "TBA"
* Brest 2023: France "TBA"
* Svendborg 2024: Denmark "TBA"
LINKS & REFERENCE
ENGLISH CH - GOC - GULF GUINEA - GULF MEXICO - INDIAN - IOC - IRC - MEDITERRANEAN - NORTH SEA - PACIFIC - PERSIAN GULF - SEA JAPAN - STH CHINA - PLASTIC - PLANKTON - PLASTIC OCEANS - SEA LEVEL RISE - UNCLOS - UNEP WOC - WWF
This webpage is copyright © Cleaner Oceans Foundation Ltd (Company No: 4674774) June 2017, Solar Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom. The name Miss Ocean™ is a trademark of the Cleaner Oceans Foundation™. The names Amphimax™, SeaVax™ and RiverVax™ are trade names used under license.